The Urban mobility department and the Department of Cultural and Educational policies and Economic Development Department of the Municipality of Messina are committed in the URBANITE project. Messina is the third largest city on the island of Sicily, Italy. It has a population of about 250,000 inhabitants in the city proper and about 500,000 in the province. It is located near the northeast corner of Sicily, at the Strait of Messina, just opposite the province of Reggio Calabria on the mainland). The Municipality affects strongly the regional policies and the local ones. In fact, it plays an active part into the policy and strategic planning activity of the Sicilian Regional Government and at local territorial level; it is the main player in charge of developing and implementing local policies.
a) The urban mobility and viability department is mainly in charge of:
- drafting and updating of the Urban traffic Plan (PUT) of the Urban Mobility Plan (PUM)
- designing and managing in the field of infomobility (information services for mobile users).
- Implementing, administrative management and updating of the ZTL
- programming and managing of traffic light and control systems.
- monitoring activities of noise pollution originating from vehicular traffic and electromagnetic field.
The Urban mobility department works by means of different instruments and through an integrated and multi-disciplinary approach able to attract external and private resources that along with public funds are able to stimulate investments in different urban areas with a common gaol of underpinning sustainable and smart mobility of the Municipality of Messina.
b) The Department of Economic Development is a municipality office devoted to define and work out the strategic plan for urban regeneration of its area. Consultancy and promotion activities for companies of all sizes. Entrepreneurial training. Territorial marketing. Socio-economic analysis. International relations and gender policies, cultures of differences and relations with the University.